History Of Saint John Church
St. John Church was built in 1889. Prior to that time Fr. Matthew Nortan from the rectory of St. Patricks on the Lizard celebrated masses in log cabin homes of the Catholic pioneers. Fr. Timothy Sullivan was appointed the first resident pastor on July 1, 1889. He was succeeded by Fr. Steven Butler. Under Fr. Butler’s leadership the congregation grew rapidly. The church was renovated, and a brick rectory was built.
Priests ordained from St. John Parish were Fr. M.B. Murray, 1898; Fr. Edward A. Dunn, 1918; and Fr. Thomas Hart, 1974. Women entering the religious life were Sr. Mary Teresa Dunn, Sr. Mary Muriel Ford,
Sr. Mary Mercedes Rapp, Sr. Mary Barbara Telfer, Sr. Mary Pauline Rogers, and Sr. Mary Joseph Donnelly.
St. John offered Catholic school education from 1911 until 1971. The nuns from the Order of Servants of Mary served the parish.